And have it replicated across data centers so that when a DC pukes on
itself (power outage, backhoe incident, act of God, Godzilla vs. Mothra)
its No Big Deal(TM) to business as usual.

I think the technology behind products like Data Domain is the way to go.
With RTOs decreasing you don't have the time to pull the data off of tape.
We have a small DDR (3.25 TB of usable space) where I work, and with our
workload we are storing 16TiB of raw data in less than 1 TiB of disk. Add
the flexibility for replication and rapid restore on top of that then the
writing is on the wall for the use of tape for anything other than an
archive tier.

Kent