I understand that old init systems have/had limitations and problems. But
writing a monolithic blob to solve those is a fatal solution. Ok, Poetter
says that the kernel itself is monolithic, so why is it a problem that
systemd is too? Facepalm!!!
I often recall one of my all time favorite blog posts, which is by Joel
Spolsky (founder of Stack Overflow, ex engineer at Microsoft) and is titled
"Things you should never do"
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/.
In that blog post basically he visits the constant temptation of throwing
out a codebase and rewriting it from scratch, which essentially arises
sooner or later with every codebase larger than a Hello World. But the
temptation is getting greater as you pass the 3 year mark.
Writing a new code from scratch often gives the false frenzy good feeling
that you are typing, vs understanding an existing large codebase is very
hard cognitive work and you are mostly not typing code.
That truth is highlighted by Joel on Software as "It’s harder to read code
than to write it.". Boom!

Many years after systemd got traction I some developers fixed crucial
problems in SystemV init. Unfortunately that came too late. Older init
systems may still have some issues stemming from architectural choices, but
with systemd we ended up having for example binary log files (WTF!), and a
too large codebase with lurking security holes. Now it's that blob which
could be very well thrown the fuck out and rewritten. I wouldn't shed a
tear. But to stick to my stance - no rewrite - maybe an alternative would
come around which is better? Very low chance though now that systemd took
over every major distributions. It's clinching on the kernel as well, my
nightmare is that one day the kernel will be totally dependent on it. It
had so many clashes with the kernel developers anyway.

All around sad story.