It's pretty standard boilerplate language, and the intent is to allow
them to verify what you pretty much already told them by running the
update tool; by default, without that clause, they have no such right.
Every time you run an update, it's going to compare a whole bunch of
version stuff and then download the necessary packages.  They can
infer the number of systems, not only by the number of times that you
run the update in a small span of time, but also the differing
packages.  There may even be a unique ID per system generated and
provided to the backend system.

You get a certain number of free installations.  If you keep within
that limit, they're never going to infer a greater number of installed
systems, and they'll never show up on your doorstep.

--
Tilghman