Hello,

I was having to deal with RHEL8 for a client this weekend, and in doing some
research on something related to the client’s need, I stumbled across yet
another post in Reddit on Rocky/Alma/etc vs RHEL’s free usage scenarios. What
caught my attention in particular was one commenter pointed out this hidden
“gem” of a clause in the Red Hat’s “Enterprise Agreement” (that you have to
agree to in order to be able to legally use it for free):

11. Review. While this Agreement is in effect and for one year thereafter, Red
Hat or its designee, acting in accordance with Section 9, may inspect your
facilities and records to verify your compliance with this Agreement. You agree
to (a) respond promptly to requests for information, documents and/or records,
(b) grant appropriate access for on site visits in order to verify your
compliance, and (c) reasonably cooperate in connection with any such
verification. Red Hat will provide at least ten (10) days prior written notice
for any on site visits, and will conduct on site visits during regular business
hours in a manner that reasonably minimizes interference with your business. If
Red Hat notifies you of any noncompliance or underpayment, then you will
resolve the non compliance and/or underpayment within fifteen (15) days from
the date of notice. If the underpayment exceeds five percent (5%), then you
will also reimburse Red Hat for the cost of the inspection.

I must admit, it was a bit of an eye opener. For my part, don’t think I’ve ever
seen anything quite like this in the OSS “free” world. Anyways, it’s by and
large a moot point of concern for most everyone present here, but still….

So, if the Red Hat Compliance Squad shows up at your home or work place, you’ll
now know why! But your spouse or employer (or client even!) might be a little
less understanding and sympathetic! 😊

Mark

Sent from Mail for Windows