I'm not using a KVM for an iMac and an Ubuntu Linux machine.  The iMac has
its internal display plus one external monitor, and the Linux box drives a
4K display.  I purchased Synergy ($29), which lets me use the Mac
keyboard/mouse on the Linux machine.  The software also works with Windows
and the basic version I bought works with up to three computers.  The way I
have it configured, just move the cursor up on the Mac's main screen and it
appears on the Linux monitor above.

https://symless.com/synergy

Installation was painless, and if I reboot the Linux box I would only need
a keyboard/mouse attached if I want to mess around in the BIOS.  It's not
exactly what you're asking for, but I have been quite happy using it here.

Curt