Our mileage varies greatly. Just this week I'm installing a new laptop. My
stance is that I never want to do a dist upgrade and getting stuck with old
packages for years. I want to get updates in small little bytes at a time,
so I was loogin for rolling distros. I've been rolling with Devuan (ceres /
daedalus = equivalent to sid) for the last ~5+ years, and unfortunately I'm
succumbing to the systemd cancer this time and giving a try to Debian Sid.
I like the concept of having things out of the box, so for example I was
rolling with Ubuntu Studio before Devuan, it was Xfce based and a lot of
software. I've tried siduction, because for some stupid reason Sid doesn't
have a live install CD, I cannot undertsaand why, whereas Siduction offers
things out of the box, comes with Xfce choice and also doesn't want to
force a swap partition on my SSD (unlike Sid installer).

My disdain for systemd is multi-fold: 1. The way bugs are treated even
upsets kernel developers, 2. Poettering's view of CVEs is a tell-tale sign
3. I've been through an unrecoverable server fault because a bad sector
happened in the f-ing binary prorprietary log area of systemd and it caused
the kernel to not boot, and we could even fix the file because it's binary.
Unbelievable, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for good for
me. UNIX had figured this out for how many decades: gz + logrotate and you
have both the advantages of text logs and compression! Unfortunately some
packages like snap depend on systemd, and systemd interleaves with the
whole architecture so much now (like a cancer metastasis) that I cannot
install snap on Devuan. Maybe one day. I'm not too much of a fan of having
two package management systems either (1. native dpkg / apt + 2. snapcraft
on top of that like Ubuntu is gravitating towards) + I want a rolling
distro so I went back to the roots: Debian. Then I can control more where I
want to leverage snap and mostly rely on native package manager system.

Out of the box distros take up more space, but nowhere near Windows: the
new laptop's new Windows 11 Home took up 72GB space (this included a ton of
vendor specific software though). I decided to finish the install so I can
perform a BIOS update because the new UEFI is so picky that 9 out of 10 USB
boot sticks don't boot. Anyways, now the WIndows is cloned and nuked. I
wish I could buy that laptop with no OS for $100 less (but that's just a
dream, I'm even happy I could find a candidate with Ryzen + Radeon, because
it's as rare as diamond dust and even if it's not Intel+nVidia). I was
researching laptops like System76, Purism, or Framework, but currently I'm
still using the highest performance laptops for software engineering tasks.
One day I'm craving Purism or one of the mentioned brands.

One more thing for Debian, Ubuntu, and anything with dpkg / apt: I've just
come across nala which I'll try. https://christitus.com/stop-using-apt/
I didn't have too many problems with apt per se, but I'll try nala.

The whole installation procedure is pretty preposterous BTW. Siduction was
not able to install grub at the end (saying it didn't have enough space, I
reused the ~380MB EFI partition of Windows - of course cleaned), I had to
chroot, weed out some EFI temporary variable dumps to make it succeed.
After reboot my user wasn't in the sudoers. The first apt upgrade had
conflicts, I resolved those and then it saw off the branch it was sitting
on: it had both lightdm and sddm installed, I needed to select (after a
research it seemed it's sddm, but then during the install it restarted
something which killed the GUI process tree. Then the DM didn't come after
reboot. I could have fixed it but I went for Sid. Sid had trouble either
mounting the EFI or the root partition as a part of the installation steps.
I had to babysit it and chroot yet again. I'm happy I can get through these
with 20+ years of Linux experience but this is very very far from getting
into the mainstream. Maybe Pop_OS! and other distros are more usable out of
the box, however in my case I needed the freshest kernel and cloning the
firmware git repo and installing newest firmware binaries manually + of
course update initramfs to get my laptop working (for basic functions such
as wifi, screen brightness and similar), and I'm not 100% out of the woods
yet.