I don't think you have to sell "systemd is bad" to most of us, especially
old timers (I probably started on Red Hat 5 somewhere around 1998.). The
idea of using binary files for configuration and logs is antithetical to
the general concept of Linux. Unfortunately a lot of distros use it.
https://itsfoss.com/systemd-free-distros/

I've got experience, but I don't have time for tracking down that many low
level problems these days. I have other things to do.