Hold up -- everyone back up a step. The most immediate concern is
getting out a release that makes public the changes in CVS for the last
2 (?) years. This is not a good time to be making more changes on the
main branch, as it will inevitably hold up the process more. This would
be a good reason to make a branch for these types of exploration.

Hopefully, all the people on this list have the CVS version installed on
some machine, and have been using it for some time. If not, please do,
so we can get at any egregious bugs. I have not seen any so far, but...

Shantonu