Matt:
That's not true. Those two references are discussing when the linearized
structure model can also be derived from direct Laplacian approximation
of the marginal likelihood. When there is an interaction between
residual and between subject variability (or residual error model
contain subject-specific random effect), linearizing the structure model
around eta_hat cannot be derived from the Laplacian approximation any
more. But in NONMEM, FOCE with interaction (when residual error model
contain subject-specific random effect) is still derived from Laplacian
approximation. In other words, NONMEM does not linearize the structure
model for FOCE with interaction case. I discussed this in details in my
paper (1). Adding the following splus code to the splus code in my paper
and using the simple numerical example, you can see how NONMEM is
calculating the objective function for FOCE with interaction. These
things are further visualized in my talk recently put on ACCP webpage
(http://www.accp1.org/pharmacometrics/PopPKCourse.html).

Yaning

#reproduce NONMEM result using my equation 28 which is further
approximation of Laplacian method
sum<-0
for (i in 1:10) {
data1<-data[data$ID==i,]
cov<-data1$fp%*%t(data1$fp)*omega+diag(data1$f**2)*eps+2*data1$fp%*%t(da
ta1$fp)*omega*eps
cov1<-diag(data1$f**2)*eps
ginv<-solve(cov1)
sec<-t(data1$DV-data1$IPRE)%*%ginv%*%(data1$DV-data1$IPRE)+data1$ETA1[1]
**2/omega
frs<-determinant(cov, logarithm=T)$modulus[[1]]
sum1<-sec+frs
sum<-sum+sum1
}
sum#39.45756 same as NONMEM OFV 39.458

1. Yaning Wang. Derivation of various NONMEM estimation methods. Journal
of Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. 34:575-93 (2007)

Yaning Wang, Ph.D.
Team Leader, Pharmacometrics
Office of Clinical Pharmacology
Office of Translational Science
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Phone: 301-796-1624
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily
reflect any position of the Government or the Food and Drug
Administration."