Hi Emmanuel,
While I am a strong advocate of using quasi-random rather than pseudo- random
sequences for importance sampling in EM methods like IMP, there is a
theoretical (and very real) problem with their use in the context you
suggested in your message, namely with a multivariate t distribution as the
importance sampling distribution.  The 3S2 option implies you are using a Sobol
quasi-random sequence, while
the DF=7 implies the use of a multivariate T-distribution with 7 degrees of
freedom.  The standard way of generating
a p-dimensional  multivariate t -random variable with  DF degrees of freedom is
to generate a p-dimensional multivariate normal and then divide by an
additional independent random variable which is basically the  square root of a
 1-d chi square random variable with DF degrees of freedom.  Thus to generate a
p-dimensional importance sample, you actually need to use  p+1 independent
random variables.  If you simply  use a p+1 dimensional Sobol vector as the
base quasi-random draw, the nonlinear mapping from p+1 dimensions to the final
p dimensional result  destroys the low discrepancy property of the final
sequence in  the p-dimensional space and in fact introduces a significant
amount of bias in the final result.  The problem arises directly from the p+1
vs p dimensional mismatch.

There is no problem if the final p-dimensional result can be generated from a
p-dimensional quasi-random sequence, which is the case for multivariate normal
Importance samples.   So  quasi random sequences should really only be used for
the DF=0 multivariate normal importance sampling distribution case, not the
multivariate DF>0 multivariate t case.

I ran across this effect in testing the Sobol-based importance sampling EM
algorithm QRPEM in Phoenix NLME.  It is very real and the net effect is to
introduce a significant bias.   There is a partial fix that works but gives up
some of the benefit of using low-discrepancy sequences - namely use a
p-dimensional quasi-random vector to generate the p-dimensional multivariate
normal, but
then use a 1-d pseudo-random sequence to generate the chi-square random
variable.