Hello Bob,

If you can send a NONMEM $EST statement, which works better, it will be greatly appreciated by the community!  On my side, I'll try all proposed solutions and share the outcome.

Thanks,

Pavel

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 02:22 PM, Bob Leary wrote:

Hi Emmanuel,

While I am a strong advocate of using quasi-random rather than pseudo- random sequences for importance sampling in EM methods like IMP, there is a theoretical (and very real) problem with their use in the context you  suggested in your message, namely with a multivariate t distribution as the importance sampling distribution.  The 3S2 option implies you are using a Sobol quasi-random sequence, while

the DF=7 implies the use of a multivariate T-distribution with 7 degrees of freedom.  The standard way of generating

a p-dimensional  multivariate t -random variable with  DF degrees of freedom is to generate a p-dimensional multivariate normal and then divide by an additional independent random variable which is basically the  square root of a  1-d chi square random variable with DF degrees of freedom.  Thus to generate a p-dimensional importance sample, you actually need to use  p+1 independent random variables.  If you simply  use a p+1 dimensional Sobol vector as the base quasi-random draw, the nonlinear mapping from p+1 dimensions to the final p dimensional result  destroys the low discrepancy property of the final sequence in  the p-dimensional space and in fact introduces a significant amount of bias in the final result.  The problem arises directly from the p+1  vs p dimensional mismatch.

There is no problem if the final p-dimensional result can be generated from a p-dimensional quasi-random sequence, which is the case for multivariate normal

Importance samples.   So  quasi random sequences should really only be used for the DF=0 multivariate normal importance sampling distribution case, not the multivariate DF>0 multivariate t case.

I ran across this effect in testing the Sobol-based importance sampling EM algorithm QRPEM in Phoenix NLME.  It is very real and the net effect is to introduce a significant bias.   There is a partial fix that works but gives up some of the benefit of using low-discrepancy sequences – namely use a  p-dimensional quasi-random vector to generate the p-dimensional multivariate normal, but

then use a 1-d pseudo-random sequence to generate the chi-square random variable.