On Mar 24, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Druzyne wrote:

> I believe a very limited version 1.0 mobile app would make a lot of
> lives so much easier, and the earlier availability date would greatly
> offset any lacking features. Could you please explain to someone who's
> not an Objective-C developer why something created in OS 2.2 would
> transition poorly to OS 3? I hate to sound impatient, but an iPhone
> app would be REALLY helpful, and I want to understand the benefits of
> waiting for OS3.

Drew,

It's a fact of life as a developer that every product that you ship is
judged based on what every user individually expects. For every person
like you who would be happy with a list of bucket amounts, there are
10 that would complain that the MoneyWell app on the iPhone sucks
because it doesn't do live updates or transaction entry or [insert
feature here].

Then there's the problem with data migration. Whatever exists in a
data file on the iPhone has to migrate to future versions. This means
that I'll have to support whatever limited data on the first version
and push or transfer that data to newer versions. There's the
potential just to discard data if it is only editable on the desktop
version but that plays back into the problems in the previous paragraph.

Lastly, I hate creating bad software. Even if it would work for a few
people, I wouldn't be happy with it and I don't like being sad.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com
No Thirst Software LLC