> What I basically did, was transfer an amount of money equal to what
> was overspent in my expense buckets from my savings account,
> registering this in an income bucket. I allocated the money to the
> expense buckets, and then transferred all of the money back to the
> savings account.
>
> I basically conjured up spendable money out of nothing. :S I'm
> confident that the fault lies with my bookkeeping and not with me
> actually overspending, but I'm still interested in finding out where
> my logic fails here.
>
> The one thing I've done that I'm unsure of, is this: every month, I
> transfer a fixed amount of money into my savings account, assigning it
> to the "Savings" expense bucket. However, this month I had to pull
> some money out of the savings account due to unforeseen expenses
> (that's what the savings account is there for after all). I
> transferred money from the savings account into the spending account
> assigning this transaction to the "Emergency dip into savings" income
> bucket, allocated the required amount of money to the "Unforeseen
> expenses" expense bucket and payed off the expense, registering this
> with the same expense bucket.
>
> Is this the right way to go about such a use of savings money?

Henrik,

I'm not sure if this will correct your issue, but there's a different
way I handle having to pull out of savings. When transferring the
money into your spending account, I would have assigned the deposit to
your Savings bucket, thereby negating what you spent by moving into
savings earlier. Then, the money that is in your Savings bucket you
can flow to the expense bucket where it is needed.

I may be wrong, but when you assigned the transfer back to your
spending account to an income bucket, it was like printing yourself
another paycheck, which might have thrown things off. It's better to
look at this type of transaction as "unspending" on Savings, rather
than as income.

//Drew