> Used in some Lisp implementations, a trampoline is a loop that iteratively
> invokes thunk-returning functions (continuation-passing style). A single
> trampoline is sufficient to express all control transfers of a program; a
> program so expressed is trampolined, or in trampolined style; converting a
> program to trampolined style is trampolining. Trampolined functions can be
> used to implement tail-recursive function calls in stack-oriented
> programming languages.

All a trampoline does is implement the same optimization that
tail-recursion would have done automatically had it been there.
 Practically this means that a recursive nextTick loop using the proposed
semantics will run in constant stack space and never stack overflow.  So
it's behavior will be just a while(true){} loop from that point of view.

A simple implementation of the new nextTick could be:

var nextTicks = [];
function nextTick(fn) {
  nextTicks.push(fn);
}

Then after every real event source tick finishes we could flush the
nextTick queue:

function runNextTicks() {
  var next;
  while (next = nextTicks.shift()) {
    next();
  }
}

Since the nextTick calls don't call the callbacks on their own stack, the
stack never grows.  Every next() call starts from the one runNextTicks call
at the end of the event tick.

Read the gist comments for the full discussion on this.
https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/3335