On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:24, Dean Landolt wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Christopher Jeffrey wrote:
>
>> On Feb 23, 1:29 pm, Dean Landolt wrote:
>>
>>> var arr = [ "foo",
>>>           , "bar",
>>>           , "baz"
>>>           ]
>>>
>>> Did you spot the error right away? Neither did Brendan Eich. But a linter
>>> would have.
>>
>> Know what else would have spotted that error? A javascript
>> implementation. The first time you run that code, v8 would spit out an
>> error and give you the exact line number before it's even finished
>> parsing. What's the point of a linter there?
>
> Wow, you sound pretty confident.

By which you're trying to say that in fact it is valid JavaScript code, but it
does not produce the result the author probably intended -- it produces an
array with some holes or undefined values in it.

$ node
> var arr = [ "foo",
...           , "bar",
...           , "baz"
...           ]
undefined
> arr
[ 'foo', , 'bar', , 'baz' ]

For the record, yes, I did immediately spot the problem with the code when you
posted it -- it was easy to see because there are peculiar commas at the
beginnings of some lines. Removing them fixes the problem. To express the
counterpoint to the one already made earlier by others, it would never occur to
most people to put commas at the beginnings of lines like that so they
immediately stand out as being incorrect.

I don't care if you put commas (or semicolons) at the beginning or end of
lines. It's a matter of style. Do whatever makes you happy. It makes me happy
to put them at ends of lines, so that's what I do.