On 22 jun, 20:04, Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Radhames Brito <rbri...@techpark.com.do>
> wrote:
> > I have a medium size application in Rails that is consuming lot of
> > resources because it has to communicate with a SOAP web service, every
> > time the application accesses the service is the processing of the
> > request stops so i have to have start many instances to make the app
> > respond quickly to the other clients,  i also have to start faye and
> > several background workers.
>
> > So is it a better idea to port this application to node.js (expressjs)
> > and make async calls to the SOAP web service and update the clients
> > via socket.io?
>
> That's exactly the use case node.js was designed for: shoveling loads
> of data from one network endpoint to another.
>
> > What kind of issues should i be aware of?
>
> That event-driven I/O is something of a paradigm shift. It takes some
> getting used to but if you've used e.g. EventMachine before, you'll be
> fine.

The biggest problem for me is that there seems to be no standard for
anything and the community is segregated. Many projects are redundant
and when one has a feature  you need is missing something else that
another project has but is missing some other feature.

Most project lack the proper documentation. I dont see node.js growing
much as long as there is no central leadership of some sort that can
impose some standars like, "everything in npm must be documented this
way or this other", or "if you are doing the same thing as someone
else dont duplicate efforts join that project and help build one
robust solution".   There are like 5 ORM (most lack support for
relational databases) , 3 SOAP clients (none fully featured), 10 RoR
clones (all missing one thing that the other has), 8 mailers and so
on. So many smart people doing great things but most are not what the
could because everyone seems to want to be the next DHH or something.
I mean if towerjs, railwayjs and geddy are all trying to copy RoR why
not just get together and do one excellent solution?

Sorry for the rant.