Your rant has a lot of truth to it. But many people in the node community
don't see this as completely negative. Node is still young and it has a lot
of catching up to do in terms of developing a large robust library space.
Having a lot of activity and people reinventing wheels is part of that.
Node is significantly different enough from other web platforms that it
often pays to re-imagine how various things should work. There is no http
library in ruby or python or whatever that looks like request. And it took
a while for request to evolve into something that everybody pretty much
agrees is awesome.

Lots of other module spaces are going through that same evolution, but
eventually things will settle down a bit. Meanwhile anybody using node for
anything non-trivial has to keep in mind that this is the current state of
affairs. If you're looking for stability, robustness and long
battle-testing there are fewer choices here than on some other platforms.
The great thing is that the node community has embraced open source better
than any other community I've seen (granted my experience is not wide). If
a module you mostly like doesn't have a certain feature, send a pull
request. You can even get ideas from that other competing module that has
the feature, because both are likely to be liberally licensed.

This is a good thing. In a few years, I suspect things will look much
different. Hopefully many of the downsides will have evaporated and we'll
be left with much of the good stuff.

:Marco