On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:

> Rick,
>
> That's nice.  I've been told that Yahoo does have an internal version
> of Node that you can get via `yinst install ynode`, and they use it a
> lot.  They also pull in changes from the upstream project, and have
> sent pull requests for bugs that they've fixed.  None of that is
> unusual or outrageous.  For a company of Yahoo's size, it makes sense
> to make sure that all relevant parts of their infrastructure are not
> black-boxes, and they've done this in the past with many other
> projects.
>
> However, it IS a dated and wrongheaded approach, in my opinion.  Yahoo
> ought to do what Joyent, Cloud9, Nodejitsu, Microsoft, and others have
> done, and hire a developer (or several) to work directly on the open
> source libuv and node projects, in a visible way.  Forking, renaming,
> changing significantly, and then "giving back" is archaic in a day and
> age when we can all work on the same thing together using modern tools
> like git and github that make all of this completely visible.  If
> ynode is so great, and ought to be shared, then share it; and if it's
> not, then why bother with a separate fork?  Seems somewhat foolish.

Totally agree with everything you've said here... I was just relating a
discussion that I had, because I happened to have an opportunity to speak
to Doug in person.

I'm not invested in defending his position ;)

> But really, none of that is what I was confused about.  So, he'd open
> source ynode.  Silly, but ok, whatever.  But what's "amateurish" about
> "Joyent's management of node", exactly?  That's a bold claim.  A
> person of Douglas's stature in the JavaScript community ought not to
> make such bombastic statements in a public presentation unless he's
> prepared to point to some examples of amateurishness.

My response to Mark:

"eh, there was, but it turned out to be something that was simply
misunderstood and not really worth mentioning here. I'm not going to get
involved with the "name calling" part of this discussion."

So, that still stands, I'm sure you can appreciate my position :)

> Imagine if I gave a talk at a conference, where I said that Mozilla's
> management of the spidermonkey project was amateurish.  Then, when
> Brendan Eich (or whoever is the lead dev on the Spidermonkey project
> at Mozilla, I don't actually know) emails me directly asking what he's
> doing that is amateurish, and how I think it could be better, I do not
> reply to him.  I'd expect a lot of people to lose respect for me if I
> did that, and I'm nowhere near Douglas's level of nerd-fame.

I wasn't really addressing you—your comments were entirely reasonable. I
was addressing the shit-talking dog-pile.

FWIW, I think it sucks that a former colleague would make you feel poorly
about something that you put a lot of hard work into.

Rick

ps. In case it wasn't clear, the only part that I agree with is "threads
have no place in JavaScript or Node".