Isaac,

I just reread Ryan's announcement on the isolates feature
(https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/nodejs/eVBOYiI_O_A).
At the time the word "thread" was not so horrible. Ryan was even talking
about "debugging a multi-threaded node process".

The really critical point is not whether you go with threads or processes,
it is the sharing semantics that you choose. If you go with "share
nothing", threads and processes become "semantically" equivalent (maybe we
can agree on this, at least). I think that threads are interesting because
they are lighter (*) and they make (or should make **) it easier to
implement zero copy.

(*) a TAGG thread is just an isolate + a thread; a child node process is
much heavier.
(**)
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2011/12/Transferable-Objects-Lightning-Fast

What I don't get is why the word "thread" has become so horrible and is
causing such reactions. To me share-nothing threads are just an
optimization over processes. What matters is the "share nothing" semantics.

I can understand that you consider threads to be a low priority on node's
roadmap. As I said in my earlier post, the sweet spot of node is I/O
intensive apps and these apps don't need this feature. What I don't
understand is the irrational reactions that the word "thread" generates.

Bruno