>  I said much the same as you have here and got a gnarly chastising.

I don't remember exactly what you said, or how I chastised you, but I
do remember
it was the words used, not the message.

I was on a curmudgeon role that day.  I chastised someone for calling
another user a "tard".  I couldn't believe two people came back and
defended his usage.

And yes, I'm the nice-police.