> I am mainly using this thing as blackmail to get people to be interested in
> being my friend.  I want to do some real world community building, and
> something like this will go a long way to get a cooperative business up and
> running.
>
> Furthermore... you do realize that asking another programmer to "just show me
> your code" is exactly the same as asking a girl to "just show me your
> breasts", right?  I mean, I have nothing against it in principle, but, my
> god... I hardly know ye!!!

Well, sharing code is sort of the main form of currency around web communities
these days.  If you look at the people in the node community that other people
gravitate towards ( and would jump at a chance to work with ), they all produce
quite a bit of useful code that they share with the community.  And if I'm
looking at someone as a technical cofounder, reading their code and seeing how
they create working, production-ready libraries are at the top of my list.

So anyways… that's how you do it!  Regarding this particular project, I would
say many of the people involved in node are people who are interested in
rich-client browser apps.  The "browser as OS" is an idea that's been around
for years now, and many people are already working on it in some form[1].
However, one of the designs that's been tried and rejected along the way is the
idea that a browser OS would just be a re-implementation of a desktop GUI, like
macOS, only running on a javascript VM with a "cloud" back-end.  And some
design principals, like a desktop with drag-and-drop, are already going away in
general as we move towards mouseless computing.  But if out of this project you
came up with, say, an improvement on drag-and-drop, or a library that was
helpful to people who are building js app's other than a desktop-like
interface, people would be interested in those pieces and would give you useful
feedback.  So breaking up your code into open source libraries and sharing them
is super helpful!

BTW, a good short treatise, that was written before the current web boom but
predicts many of it's features, is "In the Beginning… Was the Command Line" by
Neal Stephenson[2].  Very short, definitely worth the read.

Ted

[1] http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os for the full-court-press version of this
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning..._Was_the_Command_Line