Ohh good questions...

> There doesn't seem to be any support for streams which sucks.

Check out http://percolatorjs.com/documentation.html#context-req and
http://percolatorjs.com/documentation.html#context-res .  Those are the
unaltered request and response objects, so you can still stream as well you
ever could from the node standard library.  There's no synchronous
middleware system like connect here either, so you basically get the stream
as soon as node does too.

> Using `onX(cb)` instead of `.on("x", cb)` is going against the grain of
node for no reason.

I used the word 'on' in onRequest(), onJson() and onBody(), but those are
not really for streams or even general events and should only ever have 1
handler/listener, so I didn't feel the need to try to emulate the streams
or events API.  Let me know if you think they're more 'eventy' than I do
though.  I could certainly name them setRequestPreprocessor(), withJson(),
and withBody() too if that leads to less confusion with event/stream APIs.
 I'll have to throw this around in my brain a bit.

> And other then the Hyper+JSON and JSONmodule thing there doesn't seem to
be something here that isn't covered by other libraries.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're basically saying this
could've been implemented on top of express.  That's not the case though
once you get into the details:

* Percolator comes with completely different routing that lets you build
re-usable components (like that JSONModule).  Building that on top of
express (where two methods of the same resource know nothing of one
another) would have been gnarly and not really got me much more than node's
standard http server does.  The standard lib does a heck of a lot.
* I didn't care to have a synchronous middleware system like connect,
because I've yet to find a case for a middleware system like that that
can't be handled by a 1-liner lazily, and on-demand ($.onJson() is a good
example of that -- 80% of my requests never need a bodyParser, and the ones
that do get it with 1 line).
* I didn't want to have any dynamic html generating functionality at all
(though it's easily added to an app).  If your app is more website-y and
not a single-page-app-y, then express is simply the better choice.  If you
have a single page app with static assets backed by an API, then you're in
Percolator's sweet spot.  I generally think PJAX should die in a fire
though, so I don't care to contribute to it.  I said this was an
opinionated framework, right?  :)

There are a whole lot of things outside of json apis that express can do
that Percolator will never do either, so I'd never try to compare this to
express in general (express is better at basically everything else, even in
my biased opinion).  Percolator was more inspired by webmachine (
https://github.com/basho/webmachine/wiki ) and its use-cases than sinatra
though, so it naturally doesn't use express.

Thanks for the input!