> It would be nice if the wonderful core guys would tell us that it's cool to
> use transpiled languages in our applications, as long as we keep it out of
> npm.

We are telling you it's fine to use transpiled languages as long as
you keep them out of Node.  Transpile them to JavaScript.  Run
JavaScript in Node.

Relying on require.extensions is explicitly not encouraged, nor
supported.  It has known bugs *today*, which will not be fixed, ever.
It is very brittle and cannot be made any less brittle.  It is a
global switch by which one module can introduce subtle bugs in another
module.  It is tight coupling and unnecessary run-time complexity.
It's everything we try to *avoid* in Node.

Take it up with the CoffeeScript maintainers to stop relying on and
encouraging this dangerous, unsafe, unwise, deprecated practice.  Even
long-time coffeescript users are teling you here to avoid using the
require hooks.  The "build step" takes milliseconds, and can be set up
to run in the background automatically.  There is absolutely zero
reason to insist on using techniques that are known to be problematic,
and even less to insist that we support them.

Of course, it's your computer, it's your application, you can do
whatever foolish thing you want.  But if you're looking for my
blessing, then don't do foolish things.  It would be irresponsible of
me to say this is OK when I know it isn't, since I see the fallout
from the bugs it causes.