I ran into the same issue, and this is going to sound crazy, but I ended up
writing my own replication (which is amazingly easy for anyone who's comfy
with making http requests programmatically; couch spits out a page-able
list of all changes in json format at
http://isaacs.iriscouch.com/registry/_changes).  It might also be worth
trying https://npmjs.org/package/replicate .

I can't remember what the root cause of your problem is, but I think it's
something to do with different couch versions and large attachments or
something.