I might be wrong, but from my understanding there is nothing in
OpenFlow that dictates reliable execution of commands received.

I would also prefer an error, but which one would your switch send for
being too busy?  This is the 6 I know of.

    OFPET_HELLO_FAILED,         /* Hello protocol failed. */
    OFPET_BAD_REQUEST,          /* Request was not understood. */
    OFPET_BAD_ACTION,           /* Error in action description. */
    OFPET_FLOW_MOD_FAILED,      /* Problem modifying flow entry. */
    OFPET_PORT_MOD_FAILED,      /* Port mod request failed. */
    OFPET_QUEUE_OP_FAILED       /* Queue operation failed. */

and bad request has the following subtype

    OFPBRC_BAD_VERSION,         /* ofp_header.version not supported. */
    OFPBRC_BAD_TYPE,            /* ofp_header.type not supported. */
    OFPBRC_BAD_STAT,            /* ofp_stats_request.type not supported. */
    OFPBRC_BAD_VENDOR,          /* Vendor not supported (in
ofp_vendor_header
                                 * or ofp_stats_request or ofp_stats_reply). */
    OFPBRC_BAD_SUBTYPE,         /* Vendor subtype not supported. */
    OFPBRC_EPERM,               /* Permissions error. */
    OFPBRC_BAD_LEN,             /* Wrong request length for type. */
    OFPBRC_BUFFER_EMPTY,        /* Specified buffer has already been used. */
    OFPBRC_BUFFER_UNKNOWN       /* Specified buffer does not exist. */

Regards
KK