Hi all,
As I said, it depends on what you want to extract from the trace graph. In my
case, for example, one parameter that I want to calculate is the average
normalized throughput. I defined it as the ratio between the useful throughput
or goodput (received data packets without duplication divided by simulation
time) to the offered data rate (amount of useful data sent without
retransmission devided by simulation time). To calculate the normalized
throughput I need to find number of received data packets without duplications
at AGT level. To do so (assuming that the trace file is output.tr in new
wireless format):

grep -e "r -t " output.tr > temp1.tr
grep -e "tcp -Il $rpktsize" temp1.tr > temp2.tr
grep -e "-Nl AGT " temp2.tr > datarecv.tr
(now datarecv.tr contains all trace lines concerning the received data only on
AGT level but "with duplications". $rpktsize depends on your simulation.
output.tr, temp1.tr, and temp2.tr can be deleted if you do not need them
anymore)
to calculate number of received data without duplications I used matlab making
use of the source address.source port port number (-Is), dest address.dest port
port number (-Id), and packet uniqe id (-Ii). Tracegraph does not deal with -Is
and -Id, so with Tracegraph one cannot calculate number of received data
packets without duplications at AGT level (throghput calculated in Tracegraph
is not the useful throughput, so be careful !!!). ***THIS IS ONLY ONE
EXAMPLE****.

All these steps are done automatically by a certain software written in tcl and
matlab that I did it for my own simulations, I do not extend them to support
other simulations.

Anyway, as a final conclusion: with ns-2, one should write his own scripts to
ensure that he obtains the right results from trace files. I spent 3 months
trying understanding how Tracegrapgh works, whereas it tooks only 2 weeks to
write my own script.

Cheers,
Samer