Regular readers will know I'm not a fan of KT's usual playing style, but  Max
has got some good piping out of her. Some of the crispest rapid  staccato
I've ever heard her play. Some open fingered trills too, mind - are  they Max's
or hers, or did they agree on them?

The piece is good to listen to - but Max didn't attempt to stick to a
Northumbrian style - what traditional elements there are come from Orkney. At
least
with this he has accepted the necessity with NSP of working within  the range
of the pipes - the harmonics in his 'Cross Lane Fair' were  very unhappy. Cor
anglais playing with NSP gives a blend of sounds worth  hearing again, and
perhaps this is enough justify the piece.

The mic placement was maybe a problem - but string quartet, cor anglais and
double bass can make quite a loud noise together if the players have to -  NSP
is stuck with a steady mf.

John