Klaus,

You have made the right decision!    Apart from Dick  Hensold, who has a
special love affair with the D chanter, (even though many of  us do know how to
transpose, and can and do when necessary) my guess would be  that 100% of us
use
the G chanter when playing the NSP with concert pitch  instruments - not only
for simplicity, but also because the NSP is not an equal  tempered
instrument,  and therefore sounds better (for all of us except  Dick!) when it
plays in
the basic keys.

I note that you say that you like to play German and other continental  music
- so do we.  You will get plenty of practice in the different  keys as many
of the tunes modulate to the dominant and subdominant for the  different
sections of each tune.

I think I am right in saying that Pauline Cato recorded the "Minstrel's
Fancy" and "Bonny at Morn" on the G chanter so that players of non-Northumbrian

instruments and tradition would get to know the tunes and they, on
non-transposing instruments, could play along with the CDs.

Hoping you have as much enjoyment with your G chanter as I have with  mine.

Sheila