On 29 May 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> <continued use of the left thumb from one note to another (c# and d#)
>
> Does anyone know why the C# is usually next to the D on the right of
> the chanter, and the D# next to the E on the left? I know of one maker
> who reverses them, so you can play C#-D left pinky right thumb and
> D#-E right thumb left pinky. I'm surprised this arrangement is not
> more popular.

My understanding is that the 14 key chromatic chanter (D -> b)
preceded any extension of the chanter to lower notes. Thus, it would
obviously be more convenient to put the D# with the D, leaving only 3
keys for the less agile little finger.

If one pairs the C# with the E this means that the length of the key
from the pivot to the tone hole would be much longer for the C# than
the E  and the two arms of the lever would be unbalanced. It can be
Thidone but it is not the best.

Interestingly, Andy May showed me me a chanter he has made which is a
copy of a G G Armstrong chanter in his possession This in turn
appears to be a copy of a Reid chanter in the bagpipe museum.

The low E key is not paired with any other, and rather than the tone
hole being exactly on the side of the chanter, it is moved slightly
to the front. This allows the low G# and the Bb in the middle of the
chanter to be moved closer to the little finger side, being at an
angle of thirty degrees, rather than the more usual 45 degrees.
This means that the pivot block for the Bb is further from the centre
back of the chanter, allowing a flat area on the back of the chanter
for the thumb.

When I transferred from a 7 key to a 17 key chanter, the intrusion of
the Bb block into the area where the the right thumb rested on the
back of the chanter was the greatest difficulty I faced.

Barry Say