On 16 Jan 2009, Barry Say wrote:

> I believe the situation in
> the USA is rather different,
> Also, how long does copyright last?
> Anyone know any good websites?

The first thing about copyright is that it's a minefield.
The second is that it's different from country to country: certainly
USA and UK conditions vary considerably.

So, for the UK only:
The copyright on a composed tune lasts through the composer's
lifetime, and for 70 years after that, and to 31 December of the year
in which the anniversary occurs. It exists whether the tune has been
registered anywhere or not.Or whether the composer is widely known,
or only composes for their own amusement.

3 examples:
J. Scott Skinner died in 1926 - I don't know the exact date. So his
compositions were in copyright to himself, and then to either his
heirs, his assignees or whoever, until Dec 31, 1996. After that, they
become "public domain" which according to some is a meaningless term
legally, but in practice means that anyone can publish them (with the
composers name on)

T. Clough died on 3 August 1964. His compositions are now copyright
the family - his grandson at present - until either they assign them
to someone else, and in any case until 31 Dec 2034. Presently anyone
wishing to publish these tunes should contact the family: anyone
wishing to record them goes through the usual PPL/PRS/MCPS procedure.
(Bear with me, I'll get back to that.)

Angus Fitchet (a Scottish fiddler, some of whose tunes are played by
pipers) died somewhere between 1986 and 1991. Printing his tunes
therefore requires permission: there is apparently no known contact.
The procedure then is to write to the MCPS Writers Department
requesting permission and asking that the request be passed on to the
appropriate assignee. If they do not have a contact, the tune becomes
"Copyright Control" (CC) - ie. known to be in copyright but of
unknown
source. This is also the safest procedure in cases of disputed
copyright, of which there are at least a couple locally. When these
tunes are recorded, the royalties are put into an account in CC, and
if unclaimed after a certain period, are divided up between the
registered artistes on MCPS books. In practice this means they go
towards supporting Paul McCartney & Elton John's lifestyle since the
whole thing is done on some sort of percentage basis which I don't
understand.

If you all haven't died of terminal boredom yet:
when a recording is made in the UK, the artiste or his producer or
whoever sends a track listing and a whole lot of complicated forms to
MCPS (easily found on Google), and they sort out copyright charges as
necessary, and distribute
any royalties from subsequent airplay - and this today covers an
increasingly complicated diversity of media. Current recording
artistes will please correct me if I have it wrong. It rarely results
in more than pence in the trad. world

In practical commonsense "how it works in reality" terms - most folk
/trad artistes are only too happy to allow their works to be
reproduced. Some just say go ahead anyway and aren't fussed: most
prefer to be asked but don't charge. A few (justifiably) get shirty
if
they are not asked: an even smaller few might take action, though in
our field the costs/hassle would be greater than the return.

I have seen this discussed on other folk forums: there is no one (or
few) good sources of this information according to the lawyers who
contribute. All agree it is far too complicated - and set up to
favour the commercial music industry.

I hope this helps

Julia (who sometimes wishes she didn't have to know all this)