On 16 Jan 2009, malcra...@aol.com wrote:

> How does copyright effect performance.?
> Especaillay if an enterance charge is made,

For all "performances", paid or otherwise, and this includes sessions
in pubs, someone is supposed to sit there writing down everything
that is played. This list is then submitted to PRS along with 5% of
the takings at a paid event, and the royalties are distributed to any
registered copyright holders with the residue going to CC. And a non-
paying event gets charged for any copyright tunes. Some folk
festivals and sessions have already been clobbered by this.

In practice, well..... you can imagine the reaction of the average
session musician - it doesn't take many fingers!  At best, all tunes
suddenly become "trad."

> or For example at a funeral?

I am uncertain of the position in regards to "church" and / or
"private" events - which your example could be classified as. I think
there may be a dispensation. And then there's when does a private
party become a house session, or house concert.....

Please, just don't go there!!  <grin>

Julia