From: julia....@nspipes.co.uk

To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu

Sent: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 9:17 am

Subject: [NSP] Re: Copyright issues

On 16 Jan 2009, Barry Say wrote:     > I believe the situation in  > the
USA is rather different,    > Also, how long does copyright last?   >
Anyone know any good websites?    The first thing about copyright is that it's
a minefield.  The second is that it's different from country to country:
certainly  USA and UK conditions vary considerably.    So, for the UK only:
The copyright on a composed tune lasts through the composer's   lifetime, and
for 70 years after that, and to 31 December of the year  in which the
anniversary occurs. It exists whether the tune has been  registered anywhere or
not.Or whether the composer is widely known,   or only composes for their own
amusement.    3 examples:  J. Scott Skinner died in 1926 - I don't know the
exact date. So his  compositions were in copyright to himself, and then to
either his  heirs, his assignees or whoever, until Dec 31, 1996. After that,
they  become "public domain" which according to some is a meaningless t!
 erm  legally, but in practice means that anyone can publish them (with the
composers name on)    T. Clough died on 3 August 1964. His compositions are now
copyright   to  the family - his grandson at present - until either they assign
them  to someone else, and in any case until 31 Dec 2034. Presently anyone
wishing to publish these tunes should contact the family: anyone  wishing to
record them goes through the usual PPL/PRS/MCPS procedure.  (Bear with me, I'll
get back to that.)    Angus Fitchet (a Scottish fiddler, some of whose tunes
are played by  pipers) died somewhere between 1986 and 1991. Printing his tunes
 therefore requires permission: there is apparently no known contact.  The
procedure then is to write to the MCPS Writers Department  requesting
permission and asking that the request be passed on to the  appropriate
assignee. If they do not have a contact, the tune becomes  "Copyright Control"
(CC) - ie. known to be in copyright but of   unknown  source. This!
  is also the safest procedure in cases of disputed  copyright,!
  of whic

h there are at least a couple locally. When these  tunes are recorded, the
royalties are put into an account in CC, and  if unclaimed after a certain
period, are divided up between the  registered artistes on MCPS books. In
practice this means they go  towards supporting Paul McCartney & Elton John's
lifestyle since the  whole thing is done on some sort of percentage basis which
I don't  understand.    If you all haven't died of terminal boredom yet:  when
a recording is made in the UK, the artiste or his producer or  whoever sends a
track listing and a whole lot of complicated forms to  MCPS (easily found on
Google), and they sort out copyright charges as   necessary, and distribute
any royalties from subsequent airplay - and this today covers an  increasingly
complicated diversity of media. Current recording  artistes will please correct
me if I have it wrong. It rarely results  in more than pence in the trad. world
   In practical commonsense "how it works in reality" te!
 rms - most folk   /trad artistes are only too happy to allow their works to be
 reproduced. Some just say go ahead anyway and aren't fussed: most  prefer to
be asked but don't charge. A few (justifiably) get shirty   if  they are not
asked: an even smaller few might take action, though in  our field the
costs/hassle would be greater than the return.    I have seen this discussed on
other folk forums: there is no one (or  few) good sources of this information
according to the lawyers who  contribute. All agree it is far too complicated -
and set up to   favour the commercial music industry.    I hope this helps
Julia (who sometimes wishes she didn't have to know all this)        To get on
or off this list see list information at