     From: Paul Gretton <i...@gretton-willems.com>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: [BULK] Re: [nsp] file
     To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Sunday, 1 November, 2009, 6:20 PM

   Anthony Robb wrote:
   >>>dot reading was an extremely rare skill at the time
   If you mean specifically among players of the NSP (or the fiddle, then
   perhaps - I wouldn't know.
   But if you mean in general, then that is a far too sweeping statement.
   Musical literacy was my no means uncommon, even among the working
   class. You
   are ignoring the influence of the Sunday school system, particularly
   among
   Nonconformists, and the self-improvement movement among the so-called
   "better" working class, with the miners being among the leaders. Large
   numbers of "ordinary" people could read music - witness the great
   Handel
   festivals and organisations like the Huddersfield Choral Society.
   Cheers,
   Paul Gretton