Allow me to offer two possible/likely explanations for leaving the seam
   facing outward:
   1)  To sew the whole bag and then turn it inside out sounds like a
   (Warning:  Americanism Alert!) tin-plated bitch.  I don't see either
   the chanter stock hole nor the drone stock hole being big enough to do
   this readily, if at all.
   2)  The bag seasoning is more likely to flow into the seam if the seam
   is left on the outside.  Think of what the two versions look like from
   the inside:  An outside-seam bag has a groove into which the goo will
   flow.  If you were to invert the bag, then the seam would stick up from
   the inside surface of the bag, making it much harder to get the goo
   into the actual junction.  In other words, I'd think an outside-seam
   bag would take seasoning better, and be a bit less leaky.
   One Man's Opinion--Your Mileage May Vary
      Alec MacLean

   In a message dated 1/26/2010 2:16:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,