Thanks Francis - lovely stuff - it brightened a very grey morning!!
   Anthony
   --- On Wed, 27/1/10, Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com> wrote:

     From: Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: bag shape
     To: "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>
     Cc: "Nsplist NPS" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 9:02

   On 27 Jan 2010, at 08:46, Anthony Robb wrote:
   > The problem I see with an inverted bag is getting the chanter stock
   >   airtight in what amounts to a ridgy hole.
   Hi Anthony,
   Yes, that's right. However, the seal is made effective by gouging a
   very substantial groove in the stock, into which the complex seam can
   be compressed.
   A couple of other things while I'm on this hobby-horse. Someone
   recently told me that a bagpipe kit from the Early Music Shop came with
   instructions including the suggestion that the bag should be heated in
   an oven before inverting it. Don't attempt this at home without a
   responsible adult in attendance, though.
   Finally, when I first tried turning a bag inside out, I was hugely
   pleased to find how easy it was . . . . until I realised  that I now
   had the drone-stock hole on the wrong side. A mistake you wouldn't make
   twice!
   Francis