On 27 Jan 2010, at 08:46, Anthony Robb wrote:

> The problem I see with an inverted bag is getting the chanter stock
>   airtight in what amounts to a ridgy hole.

Hi Anthony,

Yes, that's right. However, the seal is made effective by gouging a very
substantial groove in the stock, into which the complex seam can be compressed.

 A couple of other things while I'm on this hobby-horse. Someone recently told
me that a bagpipe kit from the Early Music Shop came with instructions
including the suggestion that the bag should be heated in an oven before
inverting it. Don't attempt this at home without a responsible adult in
attendance, though.

Finally, when I first tried turning a bag inside out, I was hugely pleased to
find how easy it was . . . . until I realised  that I now had the drone-stock
hole on the wrong side. A mistake you wouldn't make twice!

Francis