I don't actually want to reply to this but I can hardly avoid doing so
   given what I'm accused of. This will be my final response.

   My short and spontaneous answer would be "Oh, for God's sake, Anthony,
   don't be so bloody WET!"

   I said that the performance needed one to have a barf bag handy. You
   referred to that remark as "gratuitous nastiness" and "cruelly
   revolting" (and now "insulting, dismissive and out of order"). That is
   a ridiculous overreaction on your part. Perhaps you are not familiar
   with the expression "get me a barf bag" (or the finger-in-throat
   gesture that often accompanies it). It is a common expression of
   dislike -- not revulsion or hatred -- by no means as savage as you make
   out. And I was attacking a performance, not Dru.

   >>>to my way of thinking.

   Exactly!

   >>>[we...] should not be in the game of belittling one another's
   musical >>>favourites.

   I believe that we should be able to express both positive AND negative
   views on this forum. We are not here to like or encourage EVERYTHING
   (even just pedagogically). Various bona fide "Famous Pipers" have made
   FAR more dismissive comments here about performances - particularly
   those of a certain lady - than my "barf bag" remark.

   >>I am suggesting you move on from your prejudices against trained
   singers and >>listen to the whole story of the piece which seems to be
   more Lieder than >>Folk.

   I haven't the faintest idea what you mean here. I have no prejudice
   whatsoever against "trained singers" (including in the Irish
   repertoire) or the piece. My objection was to the particular
   performance referenced, which turns a great piece of sean nos into
   something cloying and mawkish, with a horrible plinky accompaniment --
   "Arran-sweaters-by-the-fireside" easy listening. I - i.e. me, myself,
   personally -- find that it does violence to the essence of the music.
   NB: I was/am commenting on a paid professional performer, who places
   herself before the public for money, thus inviting comment. And
   although these are my personal opinions, I can assure you that a lot of
   lovers of Irish folk will share them.

   The repertoire that the song comes from has real GUTS. It's  not meant
   to be simperingly sweet. Many of the great female sean nos singers sing
   with a similar "trained" voice production but without the mawkishness.
   This particular song is about loss and longing, both personal and
   (symbolically) national. You wouldn't sing the Marseillaise, for
   example, as a soppy lament! (OHMIGAWD!! Beam me up Scottie -- I've gone
   and expressed an OPINION again! You're allowed to disagree, Anthony -
   no problem -- but remember the hackneyed old Voltaire quote.)

   >>We don't want to know if it makes you sick!!

   You clearly don't, and I'm sure masses of forumees will instantly agree
   with you, as they slip another Maureen Hegarty CD into the player. But
   as Tim Berners-Lee was pointing out on the Beeb only this week, his
   brainchild has had the effect of opening up debate not just to
   like-minded groups and mutual admiration societies but also to
   objectionable rotters like me.

   Cheers,

   Sixtus Beckmesser (I have locked Paul Gretton in the cellar so he can't
   savage any more nice people)