struggling to find a kipper box, but plenty of cigar boxes here

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/page/free-plans

Tim
----- Original Message ----- From: "Francis Wood" <oatenp...@googlemail.com>
To: "Dru Brooke-Taylor" <d...@brooke-taylor.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc: "nsp" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:16 PM
Subject: [NSP] Re: kipper box

On 10 Feb 2010, at 13:26, Dru Brooke-Taylor wrote:

I've a clear mental image of seeing somewhere, a photograph of an old street musician playing what looked very like a strung kipper box. He was holding it like a fiddle.

Hello Dru and others,

This does sound extremely likely. People have always improvised string instruments using boxes that were immediately available. Even Fritz Kreisler is said to have begun on a cigar box fiddle. Though I wonder why a well-to-do cigar smoking Viennese family didn't just give him a real fiddle.

I recently did some workshops in French primary schools, making instant instruments. One of these was a harp-like thing for which I requested substantial numbers of expanded-polystyrene boxes. I was sure these would be difficult to procure, and certainly didn't realise that the nearest town, La Rochelle, is a major fishing port. Perfect boxes were obtained in generous quantities, none of them smelling fishy, because they were all new.

Whether or not there is a recollection or photo of a kipper box fiddle, it's a good bet that a few people will have tried this in the past, and may even have been pretty fair performers.

Francis