On 16 Feb 2010, ch...@harris405.plus.com wrote:

> I've just bought a set of Uilleann pipes which was supplied with the case
> seen here: http://www.bagpipecase.com/
>
> May be a little bigger than strictly necessary for a set of NSP,

I've had one of these for several years. I bought it as a sample, intending
possibly to buy and supply. At the time it was 60 something pounds.
I saw John Bushby with one and it seemed like a good idea for those with
multiple
sets / several types of pipes..

It is very capacious (I've had up to 4 sets of drones, 6 chanters, all in
tubes,
and two sets of bellows in it), but relatively heavy (even when empty).
It has lots of straps (shoulder / back pack / handles) and external pockets, so
by
evicting a couple of sets it's possible to carry camera, phone, lunch etc.
There's
also a compartment which takes A5 tunebooks well. It doesn't carry A4 or
folders
well so doesn't work as a filing system. There are external pockets for drinks
etc.

It can't be sat on or used as a music stand, but is a pretty robust soft case,
if
that makes sense.

IIRC there was a considerable discount for buying 10 or more (cost went down to
40-
something??) so in the unlikely event of being able to get buyers to co-operate
it
might be possible to bring the price per unit down to near gig bag level.

I too have an outstanding order with Savage & Hoy put in several years ago via
Colin R, but nothing has materialised. (Nothing to do with Colin's efficiency -
the
guy at S&H just hasn't been in touch).
I know at one stage also, Barry was talking to Calton Cases of Aldershot, but
nothing came of that either (IIRC might have been cost).

I also have a hard (leatherette type covered plywood, I would think) case
obtained
via Colin R which comes from ...Pakistan, I think. It is cheap, sturdy and
fairly
standard box shape, but I personally have doubts about its longevity. The one I
have is already showing scuff damage on its outer layer, despite not being used
outside the house on more than a couple of occasions.
But it was half  the price of the "bagpipecase" one when I got it, so.....

Hope this helps
Julia