I never new Bill Hedworth, but the notion that he would buy anything which he could make himself seems a bit unlikely.

Bill's cases are sturdy and long-lasting in our British climate, however, I don't think they would respond well to modern baggage handling methods. The main section has a softwood lip round the opening which I think adds to the strength.

The only real problem is that they are rather small and if the piper wants an alternative chanter or different bellows, packing the case can be a problem. On the other hand there isn't much room for the pipes to move inside the case which keeps them a lot safer.

Barry Say

colin wrote:
Mine came with my pipes from Bill Hedworth and is plywood covered with green leatherette with metal corners. Mine's still fine and now in it's 36th year (made 1974 or thereabouts) although the leatherette has lifted on few corners over that time (easy to glue down again). It's been through the post a couple of times as well without problems (chanters and drones wrapped in bits of silk shirt - bought for 50p in a charity shop and contained in stout cardboard tubes).
I have no idea if he made it himself or if he bought it somewhere.
It'll outlast me :-)

Colin Hill