The best and most ingenious pipes-carrying solution I ever saw was devised and
made by Jon Swayne. This consisted of a neat shoulder bag which unfolded to
become the pipes bag. As I remember, the drones and chanter were removed safely
and easily so they could be contained in the bag when on the move. Such a neat
idea!

Thanks, Philip for those interesting links. I particularly enjoyed the serpent
case!

Your specification: 'lightweight, weather-proof, and preferably rigid cases'
might be best met by a maker of cases for scientific equipment to be taken on
expeditions where the weight/ protective aspects are paramount. Such a source
might provide a rather costly solution though perhaps someone may will have
further ideas on this.

Francis