On 5 Nov 2010, Gibbons, John wrote:

> Here's a working draft of a set based on Crawhall.

I think I'm heading in some of the same directions, since I can't sleep.
Nothing
publishable yet.

> It needs some editing and probably some bits throwing away.
> But it's too late to find out what it plays like.

Too early in my case.

> What lost song does his title come from I wonder?

Could playing the open-ended pipes be described as "wagging one's hand", I
wonder?
That conjures up an interesting picture of the returning piper being berated by
irate spouse for indulging in too much.....well, choose your own vice.

Otherwise is that phrase a mis-hearing of a particularly impenetrable dialect?
(Which would add to the theory that Crawhall was noting it down in the field)

Julia