On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Julia Say <[1]julia....@nspipes.co.uk>
   wrote:

   On 6 Nov 2010, Julia Say wrote:

     according to my current prejudice ... some variation
     sets were written down without the "ground" on the front. (Bobby
     Shaftoe in Clough
     MSS is like this and Clough says so: I believe Peacock's Felton
     Lonnen is also,
     although I don't want to bring that into this discussion since Matt
     & I have
     already had one lively episode over it earlier this year).

   Well, you HAVE brought it into the discussion. I can see what you mean,
   but by analogy Peacock Follows The Hen, Newmarket Races, Suttors Of
   Selkirk, Gillan Na Drover must also be variations with the grounds
   missing since, like Felton Lonnen, they all exist elsewhere in simpler
   dance versions. Which means that, though I see your point, I don't
   agree with it as a matter of principle. With the exception of Clough's
   Bobby, where he is explicit, the variation sets are variation sets and
   may stand alone. But as a matter of practice I do accept it, including
   in my own playing, as a discretionary option for structuring a larger
   performance piece, in cases where it works - a subjective aesthetic
   judgement.