Anthony, go wash your mouth out with soap!!
   Helen

   This has been a rather strange discussion.
   We recently saw an attempt to summarise what Doubleday was saying that
   only got as far as his preamble, overlooked the clues in words like
   "power" and "brilliant character", concentrated on his reference to
   diminuative size and completely overlooked the main thrust of his
   argument. This was in the final paragraph and roughly said that extra
   keys on pipes encouraged the playing of pieces hitherto only heard on
   fiddles and other instruments and that often the result was a musical
   monstrosity.
   I will need to do more than wash my mouth out, I'll also need to beg
   forgiveness from the high priests and priestesses of piping for this,
   but he is absolutely right and not only have I heard many such
   monstrosities recently, I'm guilty of some of them myself.
   Helen, wonderful though you are, the beauty and gut-tingling tone of
   the pipes can move people to tears and has clearly done so for me too.
   But if an instrument is lacking any possibilty of dynamics it can't
   reach the highest heights of expression.
   Here is a summary of my own piping journey if anyone should feel
   inclined to read it.

   As you might or might not know I was the one to whom Chris Ormston
   looked up to in the early years with, as he put it, dewy-eyed
   admiration.  I remember asking him to come up from the audience to join
   me on stage for a duet when I was the guest at Whitley Bay Folk Club
   and he told the audience it was an honour and privilege it was to share
   tunes with me.

   Years later he wondered publicly on this list what had happened to that
   piper.

   The answer is, Greg Smith played "The Blackbird" for me.

   His music, live, fresh, creative, flowing and resonant in my own living
   room drove me to a radical reappraisal of the pipes and piping. As I've
   hinted recently, it shattered my world at the time, plunging me  into a
   state of confusion which led to me barely touching the pipes from one
   month to the for many years.

   The good news for me now is the gift of fresh ideas on the pipes-front
   where the lead is being taken from the last truly traditional style
   player in Northumberland, Jimmy Little.

   Not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine, but Jimmy  and my teaching
   of Alice Burn and Paul Knox have brought me back to the deepest love of
   piping by focusing on the old country style of phrasing. This is much
   harder to master than it sounds but, with each little step forward,
   gives huge satisfaction . It also relies on the Heaven and Earth
   combination of pipes with fiddle, 'Himmel un Aed'.

   Enough!!

   Congratulations and thank you if you read to the bottom of this. If you
   have skimmed to the bottom and aren't inclined to read it, I don't
   blame you one jot!

   Cheers

   Anthony
   "The  pipes are a brilliant but not capable of the highest level of
   expressiveness."