Richard York wrote a very thoughtful posting ending:

   And yes, a really good player can make a poorer [insert instrument name
      here] sound better, and a music-less player is never going to make
      anything sound wonderful, but I do feel there are too many
   instruments
      of all sorts out there - whether  harps, gurdies, squeeze boxes,
      fiddles or smallpipes, sold as "a beginner's instrument" to people
   who
      don't get the reward they deserve for lots of hard work, and may not
      even realise why.
       And that does perturb me on their behalf.
      Dunno if this helps at all.
      Regards,
      Richard.

   Thank you Richard for some calm common sense. I too often take the bait
   and get stuck in before giving real thought to my relpies. I did make
   sure that people knew on this occasion if they should be deleting at
   source so to speak but I give postings the benefit of the doubt, take
   them seriously and give full replies if I have time.
   I rose to the bait in a knee-jerk fashion re the Blackbird comparison
   from John Gibbons.

   I should have simply replied: don't be daft, I heard Greg's Blackbird
   15 years before Chris Ormston's. Was I supposed to think don't
   be seduced by this music because: a) it is not being played on pipes
   and b) in 15 years time a Northumbrian  piper might offer a (much less
   interesting) version of it?

   It would have saved us all, you especially, a huge chunk of time.

   Warmest & best
   Anthony