From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Anthony Robb [anth...@robbpipes.com]
Sent: 06 January 2011 18:19
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu; rob....@milecastle27.co.uk
Subject: [NSP] Re: Concertina Tuning

   --- On Thu, 6/1/11, rob....@milecastle27.co.uk
   <rob....@milecastle27.co.uk> wrote:
   It's a case of trying and seeing what you like. The other way round
   this would be for the piper not to play drones ... but I wouldn't
   recommend that approach.
   cheers
   Rob
   Sorry to disagree, Rob, but occasionally switching the drones off to
   let other instruments provide the accompaniment can be lovely. I would
   also recommend learning and practising mainly on the chanter alone. It
   is the way I was taught and was the Colin Caisley way presumably passed
   on from Tom Clough. When Colin Caisley was chairman of the NPS in the
   60s the Society hired out a 'goose' (bellows, bag and chanter only) for
   people to try out the pipes.
   Recently I came across an article, from the 70s I guess, written by
   Paddy Maloney who suggests uillean pipers should learn on a 'goose' for
   3 to 4 years before thinking about getting drones. The premise being
   that the chanter is where the music is created and so needs to be
   learnt before adding drones or regulators. He also extols the beauty
   and effectiveness of playing parts of a piece on solo chanter only and
   then adding accompaniment be it drones or other instruments to lift the
   sound.
   On a slightly related topic, people have commented on how well in tune
   the 3 beginner pipers in Windy Gyle Band play on the CD and have
   suggested that some digital trickery might be involved. This is
   absolutely not the case. All three have learnt to play on chanter only
   and two of them are now (after 3 years) beginning to add drones
   occasionally.
   The drones can add excitement like nothing else to the pipes sound but
   they can also mask some of the music at times. So my message would be
   follow your ears, try all the options and go with what works for you.
   Others may not like it but at least you'll be pleasing the most
   important person in this whole process, namely yourself. Which is I
   would argue is the main purpose of traditional music.
   Cheers
   Anthony
   --- On Thu, 6/1/11, rob....@milecastle27.co.uk