If you're considering getting rid of the bass notes, are these the buttons you're going to be hanging extra accidentals for the right hand on? It sounds as if you're playing both English & Anglo systems already, but to my mind having right hand notes under the left fingers of an anglo would really be confusing... I find the anglo a very tactile thing, compared to the more technical logical approach of the English system, and for me it would upset the lines of treble and bass thinking which the fingers do almost by themselves. I'd want to be sure I was gaining more than I was losing. Before I got my anglo in the first place, someone had tried re-arranging the system, and given up half-way. Colin has too much experience for that, but I'd still want to be sure that the gain outweighed the loss.
Best of luck,
Richard

On 06/01/2011 12:36, Mike Dixon wrote:
Rob

Thanks - Colin Dipper will be doing the work for me ( he has just tweaked
and sold my English concertina for me which is funding this work!)  so I
will talk it through with him - I gather he has done similar work for other
pipers

I will also have a look at a second hand one as an option - I will have to
do the sums!

Could you expand on the 'care and sympathy' with the drones?

Cheers

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of rob....@milecastle27.co.uk
Sent: 06 January 2011 12:00
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: Concertina Tuning

Morning Mike - yes this correct.

For a C/G anglo where you are typically playing tunes in G and D (and
associated minors) you would want a Bb/F tuning to play with NSP.
Unless you know the person you want to play with is in concert F then
+20 would also be a very good idea. I have a Bb English concertina but
it doesn't get out much because it's in concert pitch and too far from
most sets of pipes.

Personally I wouldn't get rid of the bass notes there's a lot of
musical room to play in down there. It requires care and sympathy with
the drones going ...

Another consideration is that retuning a complete tone is quite
invasive - it is possible to get a Bb/F instrument without
modification. They are rarer but also cheap because no one else plays
in those keys...

I'd have a chat with some like Theo Gibb (www.theboxplace.co.uk) who
will be able to give you some options - he has stacks of old lachenal
reeds from various restorations. He also knows the basics about pipes
- most free reed restoriers won't and has done an excellent
restoration job on a couple of concertinas for me already.

cheers

Rob

Quoting Mike Dixon<msdi...@btinternet.com>:

I have a 20 Button Anglo C/G Lachenal which I had for years which I have
done very little with.  I am about to get it serviced ( more like a
re-build
I suspect!) and am considering getting it re-tuned to play along with NSP
-
either for me to have a go , or to lend to a friend so we can do some
duets
Would I be on the right lines to go for F/B Flat?  I suspect at  +20
cents?
We are also looking at removing the bass on the left hand and putting some
accidentals on the right - might be useful as I rarely use the bass
buttons
as such

Any thoughts or advice

Thanks