     From: Gibbons, John <j.gibb...@imperial.ac.uk>
     Subject: RE: [NSP] Re: Concertina Tuning
     To: "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>, "nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu"
     <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "rob....@milecastle27.co.uk"
     <rob....@milecastle27.co.uk>
     Date: Thursday, 6 January, 2011, 20:50

   "Others may not like it but at least you'll be pleasing the most
   important person in this whole process, namely yourself. Which is I
   would argue is the main purpose of traditional music."
   Pleasing everyone else in the room might be a priority for some, as
   well!
   I have heard too many so-called traditional musicians play to please
   themselves (and nobody else) not to add this health warning.
   You get them everywhere, but I recall the bloke who wound his flute up
   to E flat because that's the key Matt Molloy played in,
   though everyone else in the session was in D, and the one who played
   faster than everyone else because it was more exciting.
   I've been the latter one myself on occasion....
   Think about how it sounds for the rest of the world, and you will play
   better.
   John