On 29 Jun 2011, Francis Wood wrote:

> > I see the copy digitised was donated to NLS by Dorothea Ruggles-Brise - she
> > of
> > "pulling Dixon out of the flames" fame.
>
> Not famous enough for me to have heard of her . . .  so what's the rest of
> this
> interesting story?

Lady Dorothea was the daughter of the Duke of Atholl. In 1909 she was offered a
MS
book by a Charles Mackintosh of Inver. She offered to pay for it whereupon the
old
man threw it in the fire.

She rescued it. It was the Dixon MS. Matt puts the story in the intro to his
book.

Obviously she had a considerable music collection, which was donated to either
Perth library or the NLS.

Julia