Thanks John, for the correction -- I had assumed and was wrong - sorry Kevin !

Dave S

On 7/16/2011 12:00 AM, Gibbons, John wrote:
Kevin,

Tom Anderson, who wrote it, explained in an interview in 1970, printed in his
book ''Ringing Strings''

''I was coming out of Eshaness in late January 1969,the time was after 11pm and
as I looked back at the top of the hill leading out of the district I saw so
few lights compared to what I had remembered when I was young. As I watched,
the lights started going out one by one. That, coupled with the recent death of
my late wife, made me think of the old word 'Slockit' meaning, a light that has
gone out, and I think that was what inspired the tune.''

John
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] on behalf of Dave S
[david...@pt.lu]
Sent: 15 July 2011 22:27
To: Kevin
Cc: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: on keilder side

Hi,

It's probably a lighthouse on a promontary called "Da Slockit" in the
Shetland Islands -- super tune on NSP.
Tom Anderson wrote some superb melodies for violin --- and the Kielder
is a village and a river

Dave S

On 7/15/2011 10:43 PM, Kevin wrote:
Hello to All,
i have just had a question from my Swedish friend who is asking the meaning of
a tune:
"On one of Kathryn Tickells earliest recordings "on kielder side" theres a happy tune
called  "da slockit light" do you know the tune?
which i can only guess means the turned of light?.
What does it really mean? And what is on kielder side? Is it a river perhaps.
Thanks. Mikael. "

can anyone enlighten him on the title of the tune?
kevin

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----